23 March 2009

Back to the Kitchen...

The kitchen remodel is in full swing. The granite countertop, sink and faucet is in, the backsplash is up, and this weekend we started the long, tedious process of painting the cabinetry:


At first I was nervous about choosing backsplash tile; the sheer volume of tile, in every shape, size and material imaginable, was enough to make me think it would take years to pick something. But once we set our budget, the options quickly narrowed from a million choices to about three. So that was easy.

We decided to save $1,000 in labor and tile the backsplash ourselves. I think we did a pretty good job!

And now, even though the dining and living room is filled with the contents of the kitchen, and the garage has become an assembly line to sand, prime and paint--count 'em--29 doors and 13 drawers (not to mention all the hardware that needs to be cleaned and spray-painted), I'm looking ahead to all the other parts of the house that need to be UPDATED. Why? Why am I devoting so much time, energy and money to this cause? Apparently, I'm just trying to keep up with my neighbors. More on that tomorrow...

1 comment: